Start your journey
Take this simple test to find out whether or not you are ready to apply for Fair Trade Tourism certification.
1. Has your tourism business been operational for a minimum of one year?
To be considered a tourism business, at least 50% of the revenue of the business must be from tourism. Tourism businesses can be accommodation, activities, attractions, facilities, food services and volunteer programmes.
2. Does your tourism business operate in South Africa, Madagascar or Mozambique?
Fair Trade Tourism has a mutual recognition agreement with the Seychelles Sustainable Tourism Label in the Seychelles. Mutual recognition agreements are being pursued in Botswana, Kenya, Namibia and Tanzania
3. Does your tourism business provide fair wages and working conditions?
In South Africa this means compliance with the Basic Conditions of Employment and Sectoral Determination 14.
4. Is your tourism business committed to fair operations, purchasing and distribution of benefits?
Does your business have a policy on procurement that supports small, local, organic, eco-friendly and Fair Trade suppliers?
Does your business have a policy on community investment?
5. Does your tourism business demonstrate respect for human rights, culture and the environment?
Is your business committed to a policy of non-discrimination?
Do you provide opportunities for tourists to learn about local cultures?
Is your business implementing an Environmental Management Plan, with targets for reduction of energy, water and waste?
Answer the above questions. Only if you can answer "yes" to all five questions are you eligible to apply for certification.
Congratulations! You are ready to begin your application for Fair Trade Tourism certification.
Please also take the time to have a look at our Fair Trade Tourism certification manual.
If you have any further questions, contact the Fair Trade Tourism Business Development Support desk: firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.