The business has valid licences for visual and audio broadcasting

What does this mean?

  • All businesses who wish to play copyrighted music in their establishment (includes the radio, music channels on DSTV, CD’s/DVD’s, MP3 players, etc.) must apply for a permit from SAMPRA (South African Music Performance Rights Association)
  • All businesses who wish to perform copyrighted music (live) need to apply for a license from the South African Music Rights organization (SAMRO) and pay an annual usage fee.
  • The same applies for TV licenses, but in this case you need to obtain one for business (not personal) from the SABC TV Licensing department.

What do I do?

To learn more about licensing requirements and types, go to:

Copyright Act, No. 98 of 1978
Broadcasting Act, No. 4 of 1999